Sep 10 2018
Global Hunger Sunday
One in seven people in the U.S. uses food banks to help meet their needs.
One out of six children (roughly 100 million) in developing countries is underweight.
Sunday, October 14, 2018 has been set aside to emphasize meeting hunger needs around the world. 100% of every dollar goes directly toward meeting hunger needs. A downloadable resource packet is available through Woman’s Missionary Union. The pack contains plans for an experiential hunger meal adapted in age-appropriate ways for preschoolers through adults. The resource is also available in Spanish.
Once your church knows more about hunger in your area, you may want to suggest ways you can fight hunger together:
- Start a food pantry in your church.
- Enlist volunteers to deliver Meals on Wheels to senior adults.
- Join Habitat for Humanity and help build houses for low-income families.
- Participate in a backpack food ministry through an elementary school in your area.
- To collect funds for hunger relief, give each family a Global Hunger Bread Bank (these can purchased through WMU for $1.50 each). If funding for banks is limited, make them from potato chip cans, small cartons, etc. Go to Pinterest for ideas and instructions.